Saturday, October 19, 2013

Knowledge is not everything

I am lying on my bed, leaned against the wall with my legs extended. On top of my left ankle I placed a big plastic bag filled with ice cubes. The whole entire room is filled with the sweet and acrid smell of tiger balm. Gleen Sparv, a Team Quest member and fighter from Finland, brought me my lunch today, because unfortunately I am not able to get it by myself. If you could take a closer look you would realize that I cannot go anywhere today.

Two days earlier: It is Monday afternoon when I arrive at the gym for the grappling class I am already excited for. The evening before, Glenn had his first Muay Thai fight after he fought the prior weekend at Pattaya Cage Wars and won the Welterweight title.
He was successful in his Muay Thai fight but this is no reason for him to lean back. Instead he is training and is the first guy I see: He greets me and goes on preparing for the class.

I am just about to take off my bag and greet all the grapplers already sitting and lying on the mats and talking about the UFC, the ADCC and about everything and anything when I hear someone shout my name. When I turn around I see Kru Nee walking towards me: "You fight on Wednesday! Loikroh Stadium!" Original my next Muay Thai fight was scheduled for the 23rd, but facing the opportunity to fight in the beginning of November at the Pattaya Cage Wars, I did not want to risk an injury before such an important fight. So together with MMA Coach Dylan Fussel, I decided to ask for an earlier fight: Now it´s scheduled for the day after tomorrow.

Because of Nees order "Stop training!" I have to step back from the grappling class with a heavy heart today. Instead Lumphini veteran Adrien teaches me a wai kru – the traditional dance opening every Muay Thai fight (I do not want to repeat the .... let´s call it "little faux pas" I did last time).

Wednesday night I am sitting on a small plastic chair in the ring corner and Kru Nut pours cold water over my neck. It is the break before the 5th and final round. While my hurting shinbones and legs get a massage, I am coached from four sides. Since the first round I know the game plan of my opponent and my corner is imprinting it into my head during every break: He waits until I go forward, then walks back to kick fast and hard to get out of my line immediately.

my first wai kru ever

My corner suggested different tactics and I tried to execute them but until now he was superior. I did hit him well a few times but all the rounds are definitely scored for him. "Only punches!" Ping shouts from the left. "You have to knock him out to win!" Ian explains from the right and with a "Don´t wait! Go forward!" Nut sends me back into battle.

My opponent and I hug each other grinning before we start the final three minutes. I try to cut off his way and rush forward aggressively – but his skills in estimating distance and his speed are superior. When I hit him I come after him with wild hooks, hoping to finish him but he escapes again and again. While clinching, my nose gets hit and I spread blood generously on his and my upper body – he grins at me and I answer with shrugging shoulders.

He is only walking backwards while still dominating me. Clinching, more straight punches or longer combinations – nothing helps. I clearly lose this fight by points but it was a great fight. Five straight rounds gave me the chance to get a lot of experience and it was the first time for me that the game plan of my opponent was obvious and yet I was still unable to stop him.

I have been lying on the bed for the whole entire day now. Already in round one I kicked his elbow with my foot which is now tinted with a huge brown-blue heamtoma.
But I am confident to be able to walk again soon and start preparing for my (hopefully) upcoming MMA fight.


Felix – already able to limp around instead of just lying on the bed

No comments:

Post a Comment