Saturday, November 9, 2013

10 weeks

Waking up from a Saturday midday nap, I feel a flash of inspiration: Writing is known to make you think about things and get a new perspective; a view from "outside". I know that I’ve been having a goddamn awesome time here; but I want to think about in in detail and review my stay so far.

For me it is not only the first time of my life to be so far away from home for so long but I also started to live on my own here: Own flat, own budget, own responsibility. Well... I did not have to do a tax return or so but basically I do not feel like this whole "you stand on your own feet now"-thing is so much different from living with my parents. It is nice that I can do whatever I want to and that I am independent but it is not really difficult. Some people (around the same age as I) overestimate this.

I arrived ten weeks ago and since then I have seen many awesome places in and around Chiang Mai: Temples, student cafés, coffee shops etc. But the most astonishing thing has been, and still is, the nature here in the north of the country. The hills of Doi Suthep are a few-minute bike ride away from the city center and you can explore breath-taking waterfalls there, enjoy a broad view to the end of the horizon and find silent places hidden in the jungle. It does not matter in which direction I leave the city, I always find silence and exclusive, relaxing locations. Absolutely awesome!


But I have not only seen things, I’ve met dozens of new people – people from all over the world. Most of them have a comparable story: They quit their jobs to come here and are having the time of their life now. Not only the fighters at the gym, but also "ordinary" people who now teach English to earn additional money to their savings to stay as long as possible.

It is great to meet so many young people in such a short time. Everyone is interested in making new friends. Everyone wants to enjoy his travelling and everyone is eager to hear stories from other countries, lifestyles and cultures. I love this and wish more people at home would have this easy-going attitude as well.

“What about the sport?”, you may ask. The main reason why I came here is to train. I train two to three times a day at Team Quest Thailand, six times a week and not once was I not motivated to train. All the technique classes, all the sparring sessions, all the rolls, all the bag-work, all the conditioning – everything pays off already. I can name the techniques I have clearly improved, I can tell which specific punch is harder, faster and more precise now. I see how my game in sparring improves, how much more stable I am while doing takedowns and how my positioning has gotten much better in these situations.

There is a team spirit. You can get brutal all-out sparring or a relaxed technical round – whatever you want. Just talking to the teammates and everything is good.

I fought two times and gained a lot of experience from both fights. I learned and performed my first wai kru. Kicked some ass and then got mine kicked.

There are so many other things I enjoy here. Examples being the polite behavior of the people, the weather (I have seen some pictures from Germany right now – I really do not miss the winter), the food, learning about the Thai lifestyle every day and much more.

What is my impression of the last ten weeks?

I love it – and recommend it to everybody!

So, gosh damn it! Why are you still sitting in front of your computer? Book a flight, pack your things and come here!


Felix – still as in love with Thailand as on the first day

2 comments:

  1. Hey thx for your blog, i'm always excited to read your new stories.
    But how did you find a nice (cheap i suppose) flat?
    greets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you like it!

      Joel, one of the Team Quest owners, knows basically all the places around where they rent out flats. He took me around and so I had my first own flat after 20 minutes.
      It´s really nice and I pay around 3150 Baht per month.

      In this post there are some pictures:

      http://teamquestthailand-felix.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-heat-and-devil.html

      Delete