Saturday, December 28, 2013

Goals

When I started to do this sport I was sixteen years old and had tried a couple of hobbies before such as soccer, badminton, dancing, acting and playing the guitar. It’s not that I didn´t like these activities because I did all of them several years (especially for playing theater I spent a lot of my free time). But when I stepped on the mats for the first time to participate in a Thaiboxing class, I realized that this sport was something totally different. The training was way harder than anything else I have ever done before and, of course, I was fascinated by the concept of being ´strong’ and ‘tough’.

I started to work out at a local gym a few months before I entered a martial arts gym the first time. However, after the first Muay Thai training, moving barbells only was not satisfying anymore. All the time I was doing strength training I wished to kick some pads instead.
Literally, I fall in love with this sport from the first moment on.

After half a year of training three times a week Muay Thai I added Grappling to my schedule. This came due to being introduced to MMA and I liked it even more than just the stand-up fighting. With this second sport added to my list, I started to train six days a week (what caused, of course, some trouble with my parents – "only if it works out with school!") From this point on, the sport became the center point of my life. From this time on, I began to ask myself: What am I aiming for? What are my goals?

When I discovered MMA and became a grappler, I was sure about that I want to compete one day – not only in grappling tournaments but also full-contact fighting. While other say that they want to fight once only, I wasn´t that sure about that before I entered the ring the first time. If I liked it, I would do it again.

And I liked it. And did it again. And again. And again.

Now I made the decision to come to Team Quest and concentrate a whole entire year on fighting only where I could compete a lot and train as much as possible. Where do I want to go? I cannot deny that it is a dream of someday being able to fight at bigger events and that it would be great to fight at a more professional level. Maybe 95% of the people who compete and fight seriously have this dream, so why should I not have this dream too? I am young and I have a lot of time to improve. But what if this does not happen?

Well... who cares? I have fun doing what I do; I don´t have any pressure on my shoulders that I have to feed myself from fighting and to be honest. I don´t want to put any pressure on my shoulders by telling myself that I have to reach this and that level, fight at this and that promotion in order to build a record that is good; or that I want to become the best ever. Of course I want to be good; of course I want to be the best I can be. And as long as I train a lot and step into the ring with the maximum level of preparation while being in excellent shape, I am not willing to blame myself for a loss, as long as I gave my best in- and outside the ring. 

enjoy.
 
 There are so many really tough guys out there. So many of these guys could finish me without using any effort. So why become so results-oriented? I think this could make me overlook the fun at competing if I catch a losing streak or get hurt badly.

Right now, I can step into the ring with a smile on my face – willing to win while giving everything I got to achieve this goal. All this I do without having contracts or other events or whether or not I impress someone with my performance and all this stuff in the back of my head.

I just like fighting... maybe that is the only goal I need. To have
fun.

1 comment:

  1. Always good to see that people achieve what they set for goals. Nice post and all the best. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete